Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Revolution Starts in Colorado

I have to start by confessing something: I didn’t caucus. I never updated my voter registration to my mountain address, so caucusing would have meant a day on the road each way that I didn't want to spend. Plus, I justified to myself, I’m in the same precinct as a bunch of friends, plus students, all of whom I know plan to caucus for Bernie. So even if it’s close in the state as a whole, my area already leans in the direction I would go.

It turns out I was right about that, as no one seems to have been surprised that Bernie carried Boulder County by a large margin. Besides which, Bernie won the state by a very large margin, losing only a few small counties. So many people showed up that the caucus locations were overwhelmed. So it was just as well that I didn’t go, but I do feel bad about failing to exercise my privilege and I don't intend to be this negligent again.

If anyone needs to unfriend me or judge me or chastise me or otherwise sanction me for failing to caucus, I understand. But I hope you will forgive me one day.

Ultimately, though, this is positive for all of us. Bernie Sanders crushed in Colorado, and I think that demonstrates that no matter what happens, there is a critical mass of us in this state committed to change. We can lead the way.

No matter what happens, the people of Colorado have shown that we are ready to jump into the deep end and pursue the ideal. I was skeptical of it at first; I succumbed to the “I love his policies, but he’s not realistic and he’s not electable” mantra for a while. Many thanks to my many friends who encouraged me to support Bernie Sanders not by yelling or shaming or calling me dumb, but by directing me toward resources where I could learn more about the histories of the candidates and make up my own mind. It still frustrates me that it’s another old white guy, but it turns out that he’s the real deal as an ally, and he would be the first non-Christian president (second if one doesn’t consider Catholics to be Christians), as well as the first Jewish president. And I was absolutely persuaded that “I would support him except...” never had a satisfactory conclusion.

Hillary Clinton is an admirable woman who deserves to be lauded for what she has managed to accomplish in a hostile system. The problem is that she’s too entrenched in that system to be able to be the way to break the next wall. It is true that Bernie’s white male privilege has allowed and probably still allows him to get away with things that Clinton can’t (yelling; messy hair), and that's unfortunate, but Bernie's longtime mission is good for everyone. Hillary Clinton can’t be faulted for succeeding in the system. But that system has been tried and it’s failing, and we’re ready to pay attention to that thing this other guy has been yelling about for thirty years.

Here in Colorado, we’ve already led the way in marijuana legalization. And now, whether Bernie Sanders wins or not, we’ve shown that we’re ready to lead the way in some other policies that might be considered radical. It does start making strange bedfellows; I realize that I sound like a total states’ rights flag-waver right now. 


Regardless, something happened today that makes Colorado stand out from the rest of the country, and I am so proud to call it my home. Thank all of you on the left for having my back when I was negligent in updating my registration and failed to fulfill my civic duty. I won’t let you down again.

No comments:

Post a Comment