Tuesday, March 15, 2016

If you're a Democrat strategically voting Republican in an open primary, don't do it!

I’ve only been registered to vote in states with a closed primary, so I’ve only ever voted for the Democratic candidate I hoped would win the nomination and subsequently the Presidency. I was always a bit perplexed by the concept of an open primary; it always seemed to me like a tremendous opportunity for a faction to coalesce to play spoiler.

In this year’s nutty primary, it seems that playing spoiler is a popular move. Through personal friends and radio coverage, I’ve discovered that more liberals than I would have anticipated are using their open primaries to try to defeat the GOP’s nomination of he who shall not be named. While I appreciate the creative thinking of such individuals and admit to enjoying the “smarter than thou” feeling generated by using the system in a way it’s not intended to be used, I have to say: folks, you’re not helping.


First of all, I find it unlikely that Bernie supporters would forego their part in a Bernie nomination to cast a Republican primary ballot. Bernie needs every vote he can get and his supporters understand that this is a people’s effort where every vote is crucial. That means that the would-be Democratic primary voters who flip to vote for anyone but what’s-his-face are likely voters who would otherwise support Hillary Clinton. Clearly they are confident enough in their candidate’s eventual election to see no value in their vote for her. I find that dangerous to their position, and incredibly insulting to Bernie’s campaign. I’ve read enough about primaries and caucuses and delegates and superdelegates to know that I have no idea what’s going to happen at the convention and neither does anyone else. Let me be clear that I don’t hate Hillary Clinton. I respect her tremendously for what she has accomplished in a hostile system, and I recognize that some of the things she may have had to do to achieve that are things I’d find unsavory in hindsight. I agree that it sucks for her to never have gotten what she thought would surely be “her chance,” but life sucks and isn’t fair sometimes. Regardless, as a Democratic voter who truly, wholeheartedly believes that a particular candidate is best for the country, you owe it to that candidate, to the country, and to yourself to cast your vote honestly rather than strategically.

My husband theorized that Democrats who try to undermine the Drumpf Stompf by voting Republican in open primaries are risk-averse. Indeed, Hillary Clinton appeals largely to more moderate Democrats, and it’s probably fair to say they generally tend to be more risk-averse than radicals who support Bernie. So here they are, hedging their bets, trying to get someone palatable as the GOP nominee. Just in case, I guess? I don’t find a single one of the Republican candidates palatable, so this is a non-option for me. The way I see it, the Republican candidate simply cannot win in November. We cannot allow it.

And for that reason, it seems obvious to me that every Democrat should want the Orange One to get the GOP nomination. I still believe there are enough reasonable people in the country to prevent him from winning a general election. The petulant right-wingers who would rather stay home than cast a ballot for either their nominee or a Democrat just put fewer Republican-voting bodies at the polls, and that’s fine too. A Romney or other Republican who would enter as a third-party candidate would be a dream. It has become clear that if that guy gets the GOP nomination, there will be chaos in the party, and that can be nothing but good. Stop trying to be tricky. Vote your conscience.


No comments:

Post a Comment