Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Uber Bullets: The fallacy of reactive fear

On Saturday, a man in Michigan opened fire on three separate occasions, ultimately killing six people and wounding two. It turns out the guy was an Uber driver, and the majority of headlines about the incident have made reference to that fact. Predictably, the resulting media scuttlebutt included comments about Uber’s screening process, and Uber itself issued a statement defending its hiring practices.

It’s not at all uncommon for people to follow an unfortunate incident with “I’ll never do that again.” Got food poisoning at a restaurant? You’ll never go there again. The airline lost your luggage? You’ll never fly that airline again. And clearly, there’s some logic to it. Obviously, when something is unsatisfactory, one way to express such dissatisfaction is by “voting with your feet,” i.e., ceasing use of the product.

It’s different, though, when one has a bad experience with something one knows. Shit happens, and if a reliable service screws something up once, that’s not necessarily an indication of an irredeemable decline in quality. In fact, sometimes one incident off the rails makes it less likely that a similar incident will happen again as the organization seeks to plug any perceived holes about its process.

I conducted an informal poll among my associates this morning about whether they’d change their Uber habits after Saturday’s shootings. I’m pleased to say that one hundred percent of the respondents said they wouldn’t. The only person who said she wouldn’t use Uber after Saturday didn’t use it anyway because she already had suspicions.

Indeed, Uber has reasonably pointed out that, since the shooter had no criminal history at all, there was no background check or process that would have revealed that he was a danger. Short of ordering a complete psychological work-up of any applicant, a process which is surely too burdensome to expect (and again not at all a guarantee of identifying the danger), I don’t see a reasonable way that Uber itself could have prevented this incident.

I am not a champion for Uber. I don't use it but I have no objection to it; I’ve been an Uber passenger with others before and I once took an Uber called by a Good Samaritan to the emergency room when I crashed my bike and broke my hand. I simply remain resistant to downloading apps, and the times I haven’t been able to walk, bike, or take transit to where I have to go, I’ve simply hailed a cab. For a progressive I’m awfully resistant to changing my habits.

It doesn’t much matter to me whether this incident sinks Uber or not, but it frustrates me when people knee-jerk react to things like this rather than rationally evaluating what the true implications are. Most Uber drivers, like most people, are likely decent individuals. Most people selling items on Craigslist are honest. Most people using dating services are just looking for a nice person to go out with. It’s impossible to weed out every possible risk on these platforms, just as it is in the real world.

In fact, the people put in the greatest danger in Kalamazoo on Saturday were those who might’ve had nothing to do with Uber at all. The gunman didn’t shoot his own passengers; it seems the safest place to be in Kalamazoo during this shooting spree was this guy’s Uber.


Terrible shit happens in the world. A terrible thing could happen to any individual, even if that person does absolutely everything as safely as is possible. Obviously the consequences of this particular brand of “unlucky” were horrible. It would be more horrible, though, to stop living because of what “might” happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment